During a special legislative session on November 25, $330 million in CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund funding was allocated to address the impact of the COVID-19 crisis in New Mexico. Included in the funding was $15 million for housing cost assistance, which, through a contract with the Department of Finance and Administration, will be administered by MFA. This amount is in addition to the $12.3 million Gov. Michele Lujan Grisham previous allocated, bringing total housing cost assistance funding to
MFA’s COVID-19 Housing Cost Assistance Program helps pay the housing costs of income-eligible New Mexico households and residents of tribal lands who are experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 health crisis. Recipients will receive as much as $1,500 per month for up to three months to pay past-due rent or mortgage payments. In addition, payments on real estate contracts, mobile or manufactured home liens and the land or lots on which they are located may also be covered.
Applications for the COVID-19 Housing Cost Assistance Program will be accepted beginning Thursday, December 10. Applications will be received until funding is expended. Residents who have already received housing cost assistance are not eligible for additional funding for the same time period.
• A current annual gross household income of 80 percent or less of the area median income adjusted for family size OR residence on tribal lands. A list of income limits by county size is located at http://housingnm.org/assets/content/Income_LimitsHUD.pdf
• Have residency in New Mexico.
• Proof that housing payments are past due and that other assistance has not been received for those payments.
• Must have been current on housing payments as of February 28, 2020.
• Certify that there has been a COVID-related financial hardship.
Details of all qualifying criteria and complete income limits can be found on MFA’s website: http://www.housingnm.org/
Applicants may call 505.308.4206 or toll free at 866.488.0498 for more information.
To apply online, go to MFA’s website: http://www.housingnm.org/
MFA will make payments directly to landlords, servicers, escrow companies or other housing providers.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: